Kayaking is a great experience whether solo adventuring or with a group and Elkhart County is home to many great locations to try out.
For starters you can venture to Hermance Park in Bristol Indiana and use the launch ramp to enter the river. You’ll then embark on a several mile kayaking journey along the Upper St Joseph River. This journey ends at the Johnson Street Dam in Elkhart.
Downtown Elkhart is home to Island Park and just south of downtown is Studebaker Park where you can traverse the Elkhart River.
Other Elkhart locations to Kayak include the Lower St Joseph River, Christiana Creek, and Simonton Lake.
If you head to Goshen you’ll find Fiddlers Pond, Oxbow Park and Rogers Park. Or kayak downtown Goshen along the Millrace and stop for drinks at the Goshen Brewing Co.
Overall there are many launch ramps throughout Elkhart County to take advantage of great kayaking along the Elkhart River, St Joseph River, Christiana Creek and various ponds and lakes.
See a map as well as a full list of kayak launch ramps and places to rent/purchase kayaks below.
Kayaking is one of the most popular outdoor activities in recent years. Kayak sales have seen a surge in demand and if you’re planning to purchase kayaks during the spring, be prepared for stores to sell out quick.
Kayaking is a great physical activity that is good for your health and well being. It utilizes both cardio and muscle building. You’ll get quite the arm workout when you kayak from pushing and pulling water with your kayak paddles.
Kayaking is a great way to reach places that you can’t reach by foot or on land. Elkhart County has some great places to explore by Kayak including islands unreachable by car.
If you’re looking for a more relaxing day to sit in the kayaks with food and beverages, consider using the Redfield Road launch and journey south, down the Christiana Creek until you reach the Christiana Creek Launch Pad. Let the current take you along a fun, relaxing kayak trip with friends.
Kayaking Launch Locations – Elkhart County
- Hermance Park – 2 Apollo St, Bristol, IN 46507
- Christiana Creek – 53400 Co Rd 7 Elkhart, IN
- Simonton Lake Public Access – 51161 Maple Grove Ave, Elkhart, IN 46514
- Redfield Bucklen Landing – 22613 Redfield St, Edwardsburg, MI 49112
- Elkhart Dam Portage Ramp – 875 E Beardsley Ave, Elkhart, IN 46514
- Treasure Island Park – 56226 Armour Ave, Elkhart, IN 46516
- McNaughton Park Boat Ramp – Galbrett Dr, Elkhart, IN 46514
- Studebaker Park Kayak Ramp – 1100 McDonald St, Elkhart, IN 46516
- Elkhart River Public Kayak Launch – 1717 E Lusher Ave, Elkhart, IN 46516
- Oxbow Park – 23033 Co Rd 45, Goshen, IN 46528
- Fiddler Pond – 1424 Lincoln Hwy, Goshen, IN 46526
- Millrace Park – 410 W Plymouth Ave, Goshen, IN 46526
Where to Rent / Purchase Kayaks?
- Fluid Fun Canoe & Kayak Sales – 609 N Division St, Bristol, IN 46507
- Dunham Sports – Mishawaka, IN
- Dicks Sporting Goods – Mishawaka, IN
- Tractor Supply – Elkhart, IN
- Menards – Elkhart, IN
Moving to Elkhart?
We recommend giving Realtor Nick Foy a call. He works with RE/MAX Oak Crest Realty and will drop what he’s doing to pick up the phone and serve your housing needs!
You can give Real Estate Agent Nick Foy a call today at 574-387-2501 or email him at NickFoyHomes@gmail.com
Learn More About Elkhart County – Northern Indiana
Video Tour of Elkhart, Indiana